I have been dreaming up new salads, kale salads, that are healthy, delicious, and sturdy enough to be made ahead of time. Anyone who knows me, knows I love to plan. I made a similar version of this kale winter salad with maple balsamic dressing for a party we had a few weeks ago. The brussels sprouts, beets, and butternut squash were roasted in a delicious maple glaze and tossed with kale and quinoa in a maple balsamic dressing. This salad is nutrient dense, delicious and just in time to off set the over indulgent upcoming holiday season.
I contemplating using the term “superfood” in the title because salad is made of nutrient dense foods like kale, brussels sprouts, beets, butternut squash, quinoa, and pumpkin seeds. This salad is packed with fibre, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and flavour. This kale winter salad could easily be a meal on its own or add a piece of grilled salmon for some healthy fats.
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 4 Cups of kale ( approx 2 bunches)
- 1 TBSP balsamic dressing
- 1/2 cup of quinoa
- 1 cup of brussels sprouts, cut in half
- 1 cup of butternut squash, peeled, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 5 orange beets, washed and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 pomegranate
- Maple Glaze
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 1 TBSP dijion mustard (grainy)
- salt and pepper to taste[u]
- Maple Balsamic dressing[/u]
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 1 TBSP dijion mustard
- 1/4 tsp herbes de provence
- salt 7 pepper to taste
- ). Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- ). Massage kale with 1-2 TBSP maple balsamic dressing, massage until a vibrant green
- ). Cook quinoa according to directions
- ). Toss root vegetables with maple glaze and cook for 30-40 minutes. Toss half way through
- ) Wisk together clove, olive oil, maple syrup, mustard,herbs, salt and pepper. set aside.
- ). Toss root vegetables, quinoa, kale, pepitas, pomegranate seeds with salad dressing
The trick to kale is to remove it from the stems, chop it finely and massage it with the dressing. The longer it sits the better it tastes. Unlike other green salads, kale can be made ahead of time and does not wilt. This trick has turned me into a kale loving foodie. You can easily substitute the root vegetables for yams, or rainbow carrots. This kale winter salad with balsamic dressing would be great for a holiday office party, you could massage the kale with the maple vinegarrette the night before and let it sit over night. Its tastes even better the next day without going soggy. Now that’s what I call a perfect salad.
What is your favourite kale salad?
No comments yet.