It was Miss Q’s birthday last week. I can’t believe my baby is two already, where does the time go? We celebrated the day as a family, just the four of us. It was a beautiful sunny day full of good quality family time. The next day we had a little family party for Miss Q however our cousin who makes both delicious and beautiful cupcakes was on holidays. Uh Oh! So I decided I would make chocolate cupcakes and coconut icing. I love chocolate and coconut icing. D bought a dozen of mini cupcakes just in case they didn’t turn out but the cupcakes were delicious. Perfect for a little girl who turned two.
I fondly remember people telling me to enjoy my babies, as they grow so fast. I would smile back politely but quietly think I can’t wait until these sleepless nights end. To be honest, I kinda of miss those quiet late nights and early morning feeds where it was just mama and baby. Looking back, those nights were precious quality time. I miss those sweet baby cuddles and those sweet smells of a newborn baby and their soft skin. Makes me almost want a third. On the other hand, I am excited for those days when we don’t have to be on a tight schedule or worry about naps. I am looking forward to Sunday nature hikes.
Back to these chocolate cupcakes with coconut icing. Baking is just not my thing, I hate following directions, who has time anyways to follow 101 directions, not me. I can’t take all the credit as I got a little help from Miss E and flourishing foodie for this delicious coconut icing, which I slightly adapted.
10 minPrep Time
18 minCook Time
28 minTotal Time
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, pure
- 1/2 cup of boiling water
- Coconut icing
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 4 oz cream cheese, plain
- 1 1/2 cups of confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 TBSP coconut milk
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Boil water
- In a large bowl sift flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and powder, and salt
- In a medium bowl, add egg, milk, butter, and vanilla. With a hand mixer combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until combines, approximately 1 minute
- Add water and combine
- Add cake batter 3/4 full to lined muffin cups
- Bake fir 18- 20 minutes. Insert tooth pick doneness when tooth pick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes completely cool on a wire rack before icing
- With a stand mixer or hand mixer beat cream cheese and butter.
- Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy
- Add vanilla and coconut milk. Mix until combined
- Frost cupcakes once they have cooled for at least one hour. Sprinkle unsweetened coconut on top.
Coconut icing adapted slightly from flourishing foodie
Happy Birthday Miss Q!