These delicious vegan brownies are moist, chocolatey and absolutely delicious. Just in time for Valentine’s Day. If you have been following me than you know I am not a baker. The last time, I attempted to vegan brownies with black beans was a complete disaster! My hubby always laughs at me when I try to put a healthy spin on things. I guess that’s what you get for being married to a dietitian. Not only are these brownies delicious but they are super easy to make. These delicious vegan brownies are rich, fudgey, and perfect for Valentie’s Day.
I did a lot of research on brownies and used these vegan, gluten free brownies from minimalist baker as a starting point. These delicious vegan brownies are rich, moist and chocolatey. My girls were over the moon to have these with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if you wanted to keep them vegan I would suggest coconut whipped cream.
By no means will this vegan brownie recipe get the “healthy” label from me because there is still a significant amount of sugar in it. We don’t just eat to nourish our bodies, we also eat for pleasure. Just try to aim for no more than 20% of the time. Because these brownies are so rich I cut them into 18 slices instead of 9 but its totally your call.
- 2 flax eggs ( 2 tbsp of flax meal + 5 tbsp of water)
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of maple sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup of flour ( I used grain red fife blend)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 100 grams of dark chocolate
- unsweetened coconut
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9 x 9 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Prepare flax eggs by mixing flax meal with water, set aside to thicken.
- In a large bowl combine coconut oil, maple syrup, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add flax eggs, baking powder, salt, and cacao powder. Whisk until combined.
- Add flour and fold with spatula, do not over mix.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Check for donnas by placing a toothpick in the centre and it comes clean.
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes
- Melt coconut oil and dark chocolate in a double boiler
- Spread melted chocolate on cooled brownies with a spatula. Sprinkle coconut on top and place in fridge to cool. Once cooled cut into squares.