This simple yet hearty chicken tortilla soup was the perfect meal on Sunday night, after what seemed like a long and dreary weekend. I have been wanting to share this recipe with you since early January but it didn’t seem right. Spring arrived in late January and we have seen above normal temperatures most of the winter. The cherry blossoms are in full swing and for the most part we are enjoying many sunny days at the park.
I made this soup for my mother in law who loves tortilla soup. I thought a little taste of Mexico would help her get through another chilly weekend on the East Coast.
I love the versatility of this soup. If you like it spicy simple add an extra jalepeno with the seeds and extra chill powder. For a vegetarian version simply leave out the chicken and add an extra can of black beans for protein and extra fibre. The perfect thing about soups is they taste better the next day once the flavours have set in. The toppings really take this soup to the next level, I added avocado, cheese, green onions, and corn tortillas. My husband likes his spicy and adds hot sauce. I made extra and packed this for work tomorrow.
15 minPrep Time
90 minCook Time
1 hr, 45 Total Time
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 2 TBSP olive oil, divided
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp chill powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño ( remove rib and seed for less spice)
- 1 cup of corn
- 1 14 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 TBSP of tomato paste
- 4 cups of low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups of water
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime
- diced avocado, green onion, sour cream, hot sauce, and your choice of cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Dribble chicken breasts with olive oil and season both sides with salt and half the spice
- Bake chicken breasts for 20 minutes
- In a large pot ,heat olive oil over medium to high heat. Add onions, garlic, peppers,corn, and remaining spice. cook for approximately 5 minutes. Turn down heat.
- Add shredded chicken and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add tomatoes, black beans, tomato paste, stock, and water. Bring to boil and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Check soup for flavour, add more spice if needed. simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add juice from 1 lime.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Add desired toppings.