I took my daughter to the UBC apple festival this weekend, we picked up some delicious apples. There was so much to see and do, first we stopped by the kids corner for some face painting, crafts, bubbles, and jumped in a pile of leaves. We then headed over to the food truck area and picked up some kettle popcorn to snack on, visited some display booths, and ended our day buying different varieties of apples. The festival is a great place for the whole family to learn about our food; UBC farm had a great display about sustainable farming and was selling some of their produce.
On the drive home, I kept thinking what am I going to make with all these apples , we really like apples in our house. I made an apple and pear sauce. I also made this yummy apple granola and was thinking of making this apple crisp from Love & Lemons. I saw this caramel sauce from foodess, which would be good for dipping apples.
A touch of Autumn, homemade granola with apples, cinnamon, and cardamom. Serve with plain yogurt and fresh fruit for the perfect breakfast.
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 cups of large flake oats
- 2 apples, chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup raisins ( optional)
- ). Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- ).Ina large bowl, combine oats, apples, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom.
- ). In a medium bowl, combine olive oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Combine with oat mixture except for approximately 2 TBSP.
- ). Bake oat mixture for 20 minutes.
- ). While oats are baking combine nuts with remaining olive oil mixture.
- ). Remove granola mixture from the oven and stir. Add nuts and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- ). Add dried fruit once cooled.
- Notes: Granola can burn easily, stir around 20 minutes and keep your eye on it. Store granola in an airtight container for a week.