This healthy homemade granola is to die for, trust me you will agree. The combination of coconut oil, cardamom, and kosher salt makes me want to literally eat the entire batch as soon as it comes out of the oven, you will too. I made this on a cold, sunny weekend and enjoyed it for breakfast with berries and plain Greek yogurt. To top it off I enjoyed it while watching the sun rise and frost glisten on the trees, it was a spectacular scene. This healthy homemade granola is a perfect breakfast. It is healthy, quick and delicious, what more could a dietitian ask for. Let’s talk about breakfast for a second and then we will talk about why this granola is the perfect breakfast.
A healthy breakfast is an important meal that shouldn’t be skipped and here is why I don’t skip it; 1). I get up early, 5 am, and need a boost of energy to start the day, 2) prevents me from over eating at another meal 3). prevents me from eating something that is unhealthy 4). maintain a healthy body weight by helping my metabolism burn calories 5). I enjoy breakfast and couldn’t imagine skipping it.
Unlike store bought granola, this healthy homemade granola is less sweet and packed with healthy ingredients such as large flake oats which are a good source of heart healthy soluble fibre. I like to add a variety of nuts and seeds such as almonds, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds for protein and additional fibre. Really you can pretty much add anything to granola , that’ s the beauty of making it homemade. What do you like adding to your granola? Quinoa? Cacao nibs?
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 6 cups of large flake oats
- 1/2 tsp of kosher salt
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ). Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- ). In a medium bowl combine oats, kosher salt, cardamom, and cinnamon.
- ). In a small bowl combine maple syrup, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Add to oat mixture except for 1 tbsp.
- ). Combine 1 TBSP of wet ingredients with nuts and seeds and set aside.
- ). Evenly spread granola mixture on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes
- ). After 20 minutes add nuts and seeds to granola mixture, stir, and bakes for an additional 10 minutes or until lightly brown.
- ). Remove from the oven and cool
- ). Add dried fruit and store in an airtight container.