Delicious vegan gluten free lemon vanilla cupcakes that are moist and easy to make. Sounds like a dream come true right? If you are looking for a special treat to impress your guests these delicous vegan gluten free lemon vanilla cupcakes will do the trick.
D and I hosted Easter dinner for some close friends and family. I was in charge of the salad and dessert. To make things easier I chose a dessert for everyone to enjoy.
One of our good friends has Celiac disease so the dessert had to be gluten free but still appealing to the kiddies. There is just something special about cupcakes. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease that affects about 1 percent of the population. People who consume gluten, even the tiniest crumb, set off an immune response on the small intestine. The attack damages villi on the small intestine leading to malabsorption. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. Celiac disease causes a variety of gastrointestinal symptoms such as gas, bloating, diarrhea, abdominal distention, as well as many non gastrointestinal symptoms such as fatigue and irritability. The only treatment for Celiac disease is a strict gluten free diet for life.
I adapted this vanilla cake recipe from minimalist baker. I decided to add my own little touch by adding lemon zest and lemon juice. I love anything lemon and it turned out to be the perfect touch for Easter dinner. I still can’t believe how easy it was to make and decorate these cupcakes. I added a chocolate shaving and raspberries to the adult cupcakes and for the kiddies I added chocolate mini eggs. They were a treat enjoyed by all.
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp of lemon juice
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups of fine almond flour
- 1 cup of potato starch
- 1/3 cup of cornstarch
- 1 cup of coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp of being soda
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- Buttercream Frosting
- 2 sticks of vegan butter, softened. ( I used Earthbalance)
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3 cups of powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add cupcake liners to cupcake pan.
- In a bowl, add coconut milk and lemon. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. Add applesauce and vanilla stir to combine.
- In a large bowl whisk dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry and combine. The cupcakes batter should be thick but not lumpy.
- Spoon the batter ( I like to use an ice cream scoop) 3/4 full. and able for 20-25 minutes until the tops are firm to touch and you can pull a tooth pick out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool for 5 -10 minutes before removing them from the muffin tin and place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using a cool metal and electric mixer beat butter and vanilla. Add sifted sugar and beat for a couple of minutes.
I am always in aw of talented cupcake and cake bloggers. These cupcakes are about the prettiest thing I have made. Not as good as the professionals but let’s just say our guests big and small were in awe with these delicious vegan gluten free lemon cupcakes.