I am blessed with a three year old daughter, who loves to roll up her sleeves in the kitchen. This week she informed me we were making pumpkin muffins. So we made pumpkin muffins three ways. I also have a baby, almost one, whom I want to keep away from sweet food as long as possible and I wanted to remove all choking hazards, hence the plain pumpkin muffins. Secondly, I like adding nuts to baked goods, hence the pumpkin, apple muffins with toasted walnuts and raisins. Thirdly, what’s a muffin without chocolate chips, hence pumpkin, apple muffins with chocolate chips.
Pumpkins are a fall must have, the flesh is a good source of fibre, vitamin A & C, folate, potassium, and phosphorous. Pumpkins, similar to other orange vegetables, are high in the antioxidant beta carotene, a precursor to vitamin A.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of turbinado sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup of real maple syrup
- 3 TBSP milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Optional add ins: 1/4 cup toasted , pumpkin seeds, walnuts or pecans with raisins, or semi sweet chocolate chips
- ). Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- ). In a large bowl, combine wet ingredients (pumpkin, olive oil, maple syrup, milk, and eggs).
- ). In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients ( flours, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and sugar).
- ). Combine wet and dry ingredients, mix until combined.
- ). Using a ice cream scoop fill greased or lined Bake for 20 minutes, insert toothpick into center , when toothpick comes out clean remove from oven and cool.
- ). Notes: if you don't have pumpkin pie spice you can substitute 1/2 tsp of nutmeg, 1/2 tsp of ground ginger and a pinch of cloves.
- ). Usually, I would add pumpkin seeds to the batter and sprinkle some on top but I wanted to remove all choking hazards from my little one.
No comments yet.