Happy Halloween! This weekend the girls and I rolled up our sleeves to bring you 3 fun, delicious and healthy halloween snacks. Halloween is a fast approaching and leading up to halloween I wanted to make healthier halloween snacks. Why? Because I am a dietitian. While I allow my girls to take part and enjoy all the Halloween craziness, I still serve an abundance of healthy food throughout the day. I am pretty liberal when it comes to all the Halloween craziness; I believe we should eat healthy 80% of the time and 20% of the time indulge without guilt. Trust me, there is going to be an abundance of candy, I may even sneak a couple mini chocolate bars when the girls are sleeping.
3 Fun, Delicious and Healthy Halloween Snacks:
I saw these Boo-nana’s on Fraiche Nutrition’s instagram stories and had to make them. You can find the recipe here. Let’s just say my girls were super excited to create their own by shredded coconut to make some hairy ghosts. I didn’t have enough white chocolate and used vanilla yogurt mixed with plain yogurt instead.
2) Apple Chips:
- 4 large apples, we used a combination of Gala and Ambrosia
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 25 degrees
- Line 2 cookies sheets with parchment paper
- Wash and core the apples
- Using a mandolin slice the apples to 1/8 thickness
- Place apple slices on cookies sheet, make sure they don’t touch each other.
- In a small dish mix maple syrup and cinnamon together.
- Using a brush lightly brush the apples with the maple syrup and cinnamon. Flip over and do both sides
- Place in the oven and bake for 2 hours, flipping them half way.
We made apples chips and added a little festive twist by shaping the chips into pumpkins with a cookie cuter. They were so good and easy to make and make a great snack for school lunches.
3) Tangerines filled with Fresh Fruit:
Like other days, my girls get a variety of fruit in their lunch. How festive to have a tangerine filled with fruit. Miss E helped by making pumpkin faces before filling them with fresh fruit. You can fill them with your favorite fruit.
Wishing you a fun and safe Halloween!