We eat a lot of salads. This roasted beet and carrot salad with quinoa is a family favorite, its full of flavour, hearty, and of course healthy. This salad is a regular on our meal plan, I love that I can make this salad and have leftovers for lunches later in the week.
Beets should make be a regular appearance on your grocery list, they are deliciously sweet and nutrient dense. If, I believed in the term “superfood“, beets would certainly win my vote. Beets are rich in antioxidants, fibre, folate, vitamins and minerals. Furthermore, the pigment that gives these root vegetables their beautiful color, is full of antioxidants, which have anti-inflammatory and cancer fighting properties and aids in the liver detoxification process. Beets are extremely versatile , add them to smoothies, pancakes, hummus, veggie burgers and or roast them and make this salad.
I got this recipe from my dietitian friend, Melissa Leblanc, and adapted it slightly, Thanks Melissa. I make this salad at least every other week, sometimes weekly. I love this salad for many reasons 1). Its delicious, I love roasted beets, carrots, and fresh dill 2). Its healthy 3). It holds well for lunches the next day and the next day 4). My family loves this salad, including my toddler.
Don’t let the time preparation scare you, a little planning and the rest is pretty straight forward. I always roast the beets and cook the quinoa while I am prepping food for the rest of the week which is the most time consuming part.
10 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 cup Quinoa (cooked)
- 12 medium size beets, washed
- 2 large carrots, washed, peeled, and grated
- 3 green onions, washed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh dill
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 -2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ). Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- ). Roast beets for 45 minutes in the oven or until soft
- ). Bring 1 cup of water to boil and cook quinoa
- ). Slice roasted beets into small pieces, 1/4 inch
- ). In a large bowl combine cooled quinoa, grated carrots, green onions, and beets
- ). In a small bowl whisk olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, dijon mustard, and salt and pepper. Add to cooled quinoa, beets, carrots, and green onions and toss. Crumble feta and serve.
- The dressing in this recipe contains honey and is not recommended for babies under the age of one due to botulism risk. If you want to feed this salad to your baby don't add the dressing or replace the honey with maple syrup.
I hope you like this salad as much as we do!
3 Responses to Roasted Beet Quinoa Salad with Carrots !