We made these heart shaped chocolate cookies last weekend for a Valentine’s day party. I thought of this cookie recipe during Christmas when we made these double chocolate cookies. The cookies turned out perfect, the orange extract was subtle but complimented the dark chocolate nicely. Miss E wanted to decorate some of the cookies with pink and red sprinkles, what little girl doesn’t like sprinkles.
I don’t bake a lot because I don’t have the will power when it comes to sweets. But a little indulgence here and there aligns with my nutrition philosophy . I never buy cookies, I prefer to make my own from scratch and feel more comfortable knowing the ingredients in our food . My daughter loves to roll up her sleeves and help in the kitchen. I feel teaching your kids confidence in the kitchen is a valuable skill that is often overlooked. Plus, I find its a great place to spend some quality time with each other. I hope my daughter’s grow up with fond kitchen memories.
30 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup of butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 100 grams of dark chocolate ( i used 70% cacao)
- 3 TBSP water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture crumbly, I used a blender.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and sugar together. Add vanilla and orange extract and beat until combined. Add to flour mixture and lightly blend to form dough like mixture.
- Wrap cookie dough in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 2 hours or overnight
- Line cookies sheets with parchment paper
- On a lightly floured counter top roll out a portion of dough to 1/8 inch thick. Using heart shaped cookie cutters cut dough and place on cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. Closely watch to make sure they don't burn. Remove cookies and cool.
- In a double boiler pot melt chocolate over medium heat. Add a little water to thin out chocolate and cool slightly ( 10 mins). ***
- Dip cookies halfway in chocolate and place back on cookie sheet and place in freezer for 20 minutes
If you don't have a double boiler pot you could melt chocolate in the microwave.