Happy New Year! Put up your hands if you are craving hearty green salads, this winter kale salad with roasted butternut squash is all I am going to be dreaming about for the next month. I love a delicious hearty salad that is made with fresh seasonal ingredients. This winter harvest salad with butternut squash is packed with fibre, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and flavour.
Let’s talk about kale! Kale is packed with healthy nutrients such as fibre, vitamin C, vitamin K, B vitamins, potassium, calcium and of course antioxidants. There are many varieties of kale such as curly, tuscan, lacinato, and baby kale. In this recipe we used curly kale and the trick to kale is to devein the salad, chop it into small pieces and massage it. This does add some extra prep time but I highly recommend you do not skip this step.
Winter harvest kale salad with roasted butternut squash
- 4 cups kale, curly
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 tbsp oilive oil
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 ambrosia apples
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Massage kale with lemon juice and salt. Allow to sit while you are preparing the rest of the ingredients.Toss buuternut squash in olive oil, maple syrup and salt and pepper. Roasted for 20 -30 minutes until cooked. Let cool once roasted.Cook quinoa according to instructions. set aside to cool.In a small mason jar combine salad dressing ingredients and whisk all ingreidents together until well combined.In a large bowl, combine kale, quinoa, squash, apple, and pumpkin seeds. Toss with salad dressing. Add crumbled feta cheese.
The thing I love about this salad is I can make this on my Sunday meal prep day and it can last for 3-4 days without wilting. While kale is the main ingredient, this salad is a nutrition powerhouse with roasted butternut squash, apples, and quinoa. Quinoa is also packed with fibre and protein to help you feel full and satisfied. I added toasted pumpkin seeds to this winter harvest kale salad, they give a good crunch. Nuts and seeds are packed with healthy fats, protein, fibre and vitamins and minerals. Finally, I topped it with fresh feta cheese. You can easily substitute any of these ingredients to meet your own food preferences.
2020 has been difficult for many of us. I hope 2021 ( I can see the light at the end of the tunnel) allows us to hug, sing and dance with our family, friends, and neighbours.
Wishing you a Happy and Healthy 2021!
No comments yet.