Happy Monday! Monday is my favourite day of the work week. You must think I am crazy. Let me explain. My hubby does not work on Monday’s which means I don’t have to get anyone ready for daycare. I come home from work and dinner is ready and all I have to do is play with my girls. I love Monday’s.
Mr. D lucked out in the dinner department this week. I made this rustic vegetarian lasagna last night, full of zucchini, sweet potatoes, portobello mushrooms, spinach, and smothered in a home made tomato and lemon ricotta cheese. Perfect for meatless Monday. I could eat vegetarian most days of the week but my carnivore loving husband is good with 1-2 meals a week. Eating less meat not only has its health benefits but it also benefits the environment. A couple of other vegetarian meals that have been tried and loved in our household include the yoga pot by Green Kitchen Stories, this kale and brussel sprout Soba noodle salad and these butternut and green chile enchiladas both from Sprouted Kitchen.
30 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- Ricotta Cheese layer
- 1 400 gram container of ricotta cheese
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup of basil, chopped
- salt to taste
- 2 zucchini, peeled and sliced length wise
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced length wise
- 2 portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups of spinach
- 2 garlic cloves
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups of tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- ). Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- ). Drizzle olive oil to zucchini, and sweet potato. Add a pinch of salt.
- ). Roast for sweet potato10 mins, add Zucchini and roast for another 10 minutes.
- ). While the vegetables are roasted, sauté mushrooms in olive oil and garlic, add spinach and sauté for about 5 mins.
- ). Combine ricotta cheese, lemon juice, lemon rind, basil and salt.
- ). In a 9 x 13 baking pan, layer tomato sauce, a layer of lasagna noodles, spread a layer of ricotta mixture. Add a layer of zucchini and sweet potato, followed by a layer of mushrooms and spinach.
- ). Repeat 2 times
- ). To the top add a layer of lasagna noodles, top with tomato sauce.
- ). Grate mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- ). Bake for 45 minutes.
- ). Let cool for 10 minutes before serving