This salad is simply amazing. I was going to make these lentil sloppy joe’s but I didn’t have enough tomato sauce. So I decided to throw a salad together with random ingredients from the fridge and garden. This salad is light, fresh and flavourful. A perfect dish for a potluck, dinner, or next day’s lunch.
Let’s talk about lentils. Don’t be fooled by these tiny beans, they are packed with protein and fibre keeping you full and satisfied. Lentils provide a nice earthy taste to salads, soups, or stews. Another bonus is that they are easy to prepare. One of my goals for this year was to make more lentil dishes than last year. I see many more lentil salads in the near future. My carnivore loving hubby enjoyed the salad as much as I did.
My tomatoes in my garden started turning red this week and I decided to add them to the salad. Nothing tastes better than seasonal tomatoes out of your garden. I also added cucumber, red pepper, kale, flat leaf parsley, feta cheese and tossed it all in my staple vinegarette dressing.
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 cup f french lentils
- 2 cups of water
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups of kale, cut into small pieces
- 1 cucumber, washed, peeled, chopped into small pieces
- 1 red pepper, washed and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, washed and sliced in halves
- 1/4 cup of flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup of feta cheese
- 2 TBSP of staple vinegarette
- ) Rinse lentils
- ). In a medium pot combine lentils, water, and bayleaf. Bring to a boil and cook for approximately 20 minutes. Allow to cool.
- ). Wash your kale and chop into small pieces. Add 1 tsp of salad dressing and work into kale. Place in fridge.
- ). Wash and cut vegetables and combine in a medium bowl.
- ). Add lentils, parsley, and feta cheese. Add to kale bowl.
- ). Toss salad with approximately 1-2 TBSP of salad dressing.
- ). Season with salt and pepper