Spring is in the air! I love the transition to brighter, longer days, spring is my second favorite season. This citrus loaf reminds me of spring. It’s so fresh and delicious. This loaf would be perfect for Easter or Mother’s day, trust me your guests will love this citrus loaf.
We have been eating oranges daily all winter long, for good reason too. Oranges are high in Vitamin C giving it antioxidant properties which has role maintaining a healthy immune system. In addition, to a healthy immune system, vitamin C also plays a role in preventing arthritis by maintaining cartilage in our joints. Oranges are also good sources of thiamin, potassium, and folate which plays a role in preventing neural tube defects in utero. Citrus fruits, like oranges, play a role in preventing certain cancers such as colon, pancreatic, lung, as well as, delaying the onset of aging diseases such as arthritis, macular degeneration and cognitive impairment.
Miss Q asked me to bake an orange loaf. How could I resist. After a couple trials, I think we have a winner. This citrus loaf is easy to make and is sure to be a crowd pleaser, not to mention your house will smell amazing. In addition, to orange zest this loaf uses greek yogurt which keeps it moist. I am sure you can find all the ingredients in your pantry and can make this citrus loaf today.
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- zest from 2 oranges
- 1/2 cup f vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp apple cider
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup icing powder
- juice from 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a loaf pan with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, add sugar and work orange zest in sugar with your fingers until fragrant. Add oils, eggs, baking powder, baking soda, apple cider, and vanilla.
- Add yogurt and flour. Combine but do not over mix.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown. Check doneness with a toothpick in the middle, if it comes clean its done.
- Let loaf cool completely on a baking rack before icing. Once loaf is completely cooled, pour glaze over loaf.