Happy June! How did we get here ?? I am so looking forward to summer. It’s been pretty busy here in the Murphy household, as I am sure anyone with kids can relate. In addition to the end of school activities, I have been busy making these lemon blueberry muffins until they are perfect, I am pretty sure I nailed it this time. The combination of lemon and blueberries is a family favorite and these muffins don’t last long in our household. Whether your looking for last minute school lunch ideas, after school snack or simple looking for a really good, moist blueberry lemon muffin you came to the right place.
If you follow me on instagram, you know I have been making these muffins regularly, I think I finally got the perfect lemon and blueberry ratio without it being too dense or oily. Although the they all tasted amazing something just wasn’t right. I try to bake something twice a week for school lunches, I like knowing whats going into my daughter’s bellies.
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 2 eggs, beaten, room temperature
- 3/4 cup of plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup of all purpose flour + 1 tbsp
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl add sugar and zest, work zest into sugar with your fingers for about a minute. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to incorporate dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl combine, olive oil, eggs one at a time, yogurt, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Combine with a spatula, make sure you do not over mix.
- Toss blueberries in flour and fold into batter.
- Fill your prepared muffin tins and baker for 15 -17 minutes until golden brown. Check for doneness with a toothpick
Blueberries are rich in antioxidants and fiber. I love adding them to baking like these blueberry lemon muffins. I like to store of these muffins in the freezer, if they last that long, and put them int our lunches.